Restaurant Week starts Sunday, January 14th and ends on Friday, January 19th! Over 50 restaurants, downtown and around Ann Arbor, are participating in this popular dining event! Although there is a fixed price menu for both lunch ($15) and dinner ($28), the restaurants still offer food items, off their regular menus, at menu cost. Some restaurants even offer a 2 for 1 pricing! For a list of the participating menus and their appealing menus created just for Ann Arbor’s Restaurant Week, click here. The restaurants are also split up into categories, which include vegetarian, vegan, offers lunch, and 2-for-1. I definitely recommend making dinner reservations, as many of the dining venues fill up quickly.
My four-year old boys (Henry and Teddy) and I have enjoyed several lunches, together, during restaurant week. I feel like this is a great opportunity to try out a new, upscale restaurant with a toddler, because the fixed price for lunch is fairly inexpensive, and the restaurants aren’t super busy, at the lunch hour. My husband and I always squeeze in a dinner date one evening as well (this year we planned ahead and made a reservation for Logan!).
Last January, at Gandy Dancer
Suggestions when Dining with Little Ones
- choose a location that provides a bread bowl, crackers, upon being seated
- pack an ‘appetizer’ for your child. When the boys were younger, I always packed frozen peas!
- be prepared to order your food QUICKLY
- bring along a craft bag: stickers, markers, coloring books, plain paper, magnetic board
- play a game of ‘I Spy’, Tic-Tac-Toe, or ‘What’s your favorite?” (i.e. what’s your favorite color? and everyone at the table answers the question)
- have your little one organize the sugar packets or stack the creamers
- be OK with walking your little one around the restaurant, a bit, while waiting for the food to arrive
If you miss out on Restaurant Week, this Winter, no worries! Restaurant Week also comes back for one week in the Summer…typically in mid-June.